Add To Favorites

Indian mascot; restaurant change; nursing home help: Good Morning, Pennsylvania

Patriot-News - 7/12/2022

What you need to know today, Tuesday, July 12, 2022.

Today’s weather

High: 89; Low: 71. Partly sunny, storms possible.

Photo of the day

Top stories

What’s in a name?: After it was removed by a previous school board, the Indian mascot for Susquehanna Twp. school district was returned last night. The new logo, however, doesn’t have a picture of an American Indian anymore.

Avoiding arrest: Most nonfatal shootings in Harrisburg go unsolved. City police solve about 10% of such shootings, leaving 90% of shooters to perhaps strike again.

Growth spurt: Cumberland County is growing – and fast. While Dauphin, Lancaster, Lebanon and York counties experienced significant growth in the past decade, according to U.S. Census data, Cumberland is above them.


Jabs: The state’s U.S. Senate candidates were busy: John Fetterman flew messages in NJ welcoming Mehmet Oz “home.” Oz put out wanted posters about the Democrat, who paused campaigning after having a stroke.

Nursing home help: $515M from the state budget will allow nursing homes to hire more staff and pay and train them better, leading to better care, leaders said.


Moving up: Diners sometimes wait in long lines at Chef de Crepe, which opened in 2020 in Mechanicsburg. With business exceeding their expectations, the owners have decided to move to a larger building.

Sweet time: The Harrisburg Dessert Festival will be held Saturday at the Farm Show Complex to satisfy sweet cravings and highlight local businesses and bakers.


Course to close: Bumble Bee Hollow Golf Center in Lower Paxton Township said it’s closing Sept. 30 after being unable to work out a land agreement.

New name: After 21 years, the Pittsburgh Steelers’ home will not be called Heinz Field. Instead, the team will play at Acrisure Stadium. What’s that?

In brief

©2022 Advance Local Media LLC. Visit Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.

Nationwide News